martes, mayo 10

I (heart) my vagina

Some days ago I was doing my usual morning news read when I came across this story about two girls at a Minnesota high school, who were admonished by school administrators for wearing buttons that said "I (heart) My Vagina". According to the article, school principal, Nancy Wondrasch, said some in school might find the buttons offensive, specially since wearing them would give an open sexual invitation to guys. After this scandal, some students rallied to their cause, about 45 of them gathered in front of the school before class, some of those girls wore “I (heart) my vagina” t-shirts while guys were wearing another version that said “I support your vagina.”


What exactly is offensive about a word that is commonly used to describe a human body part? Especially when there are so many other words used to describe that same body part, which I think can be even more insulting. I'm not a femminist, however I think these buttons empower women, in the sense that they articulate the fact that every human being is (or at leats shall be) in charge of one's mind and body (even against republicans hehehe).... Then after that, I thought what would happen in the case of a guy wearing a "I (heart) my pennis" button, would there be the same sanction? and if so, would I also wear a I support your pennis t-shirt? heheh that's funny =) I'll think about it in the next days.

By the way in case someone is interested on supporting Carrie n' Emily's cause, you can find V-love clothing online!!

**La niña (heart) Tere**

PS Too many parties comin'...pics and news soon